Secret Valley of Fireflies
The secret valley of fireflies is located between two beautiful and lush green ridges. There is negligible ascend i.e. almost a flat trail. This trek is most spectacular in the weeks preceding the monsoon when tiny insects come out of a long slumber for mat ing season. Fi ref lies exhibit bioluminescence, a phenomenon that makes them glow in the dark to attract a mate.
Bonus - You might get an opportunity to buy fresh veggies and forest honey from the village.
Grade: Very Easy
22:00 - Take fast loc al from CSMT at 9.58pm (Dadar-10:11, Thane-10:39)
23:58 - Reach Karjat. This is the final meeting point and we travel to the base village in a mini-van (30 mins ride)
01:00 - We start the trek after briefing and introduction. On the way we will get to see a swarm of fir efli es in the forest. It’s a 3.5kms walk till we reach a secret village nestled between the mountains.
03:30 - Take a rest for an hour in an open ground. We can campfire till twilight.
06:00 - We will get to see the landscape and sunlight.
08:00 - Have a delicious breakfast and lemongrass tea.
09.00 - Travel to Karjat in mini-van
10.00 - Take the next local back to Mumbai
- Travel till base village from Karjat
- Breakfast and refreshments
- Expertise charge
- Bottled water/cold drinks
- Anything not mentioned in ‘Includes’
Things to carry:
- 3 litre water (preferably in personal reusable bottles)
- Good quality torch (other than mobile)
- Good trekking shoes or sport shoes
- You can bring healthy snacks like fruits, dry fruits, Energy bars etc.
- A double strap bag. Sling bag not allowed in trek